Thursday, December 29, 2011

To Poo or not to Poo.......


Sooooo.............

A lot of people ask me what do I use on my hair, how often do I deep condition, do I shampoo or cowash, etc etc etc. I will attempt to answer some of those questions in this post. If I don't answer something ASK and I willlllll. :)
First I do not claim to be an expert. I am sharing my personal experience about my natural hair journey. Please be catious about using products that you are sensitive to and use wisdom when mixing and trying new things.

Now that that is out the way! Haahaahaahaaa! The first thing I kept in mind when constructing a hair care regime is the TYPE of hair I have and the TYPE I would like. My hair was tightly coiled, thick and dry. I needed a routine that would replace the moisture in my hair. Since my hair is thick I try to find thick formulas or products because thicker products coat my hair better. And since my coils are tight I like to use products or styles that elongate my curl pattern and decrease the amount of shrinkage.

Brown Sugar Scalp Scrub

Once a week I take an el cheapo conditioner and mix it in with brown sugar (about 1tbsp to 1 cup) and scrub my scalp. You may adjust the amount of sugar according to your exfoilation preferences. This scrub is great for exfoilating the scalp and encouraging blood flow to the scalp (which enocurages hair growth). The conditioner conditions as you gently massage the mixture into your scalp. Note I said gently you dont want to damage your tresses by rough handling. Despite peoples beliefs African Americans hair is very delicate. The tighter your curl pattern the more delicate your hair. My favorite el cheapo conditioner is Suave Rosemary and Mint.

Deep Conditioner (DC)

After I rinse the mixture out (thouroughly) I apply my oil & honey mixture. I normally do this on a Friday night, when I have no where to go and I'm cleaning up. I take 1 part honey (amounts differ according to hair length) and 2 parts Extra Virgin Olive Oil (a STAPLE in my house). I use these little travel bottles I get from WalMart for like 78 cents to mix the mixure. I warm the mixture to ensure that it mixes thouroughly and apply it to my hair. Be sure that if you try this you test the temperature on your wrist first. The honey gets hot pretty quick. After every strand is covered in this mixture I take a think plastic cap and cover my head. I wet a thin hand towel and microwave it to make it warm and wrap it around the plastic cap. I then take a thick shower cap and sleep in all this. LOL!!! Hey! It works for me.

The Morning After

In the morning I rinse with a mixture of warm water and baking soda. I fill an 8 oz bottle with warm water and add 1 tbsp of baking soda and squirt it on my hair after I have rinsed as much of the mixture out as I can. After I towel dry my hair I apply RAW shae butter (found at the beauty supply store) to do two strand twists to decrease shrinkage.

Like I said before this regime is what works for me. In between I may cowash (wash with coditioner-no shampoo) if my hair misbehaves (get extremely dry), if I have time. I also keep a bottle of water and EVOO handy in the summer time for those hot days where my hair wants to be mean!


DO YOUR HAIR DON'T LET IT DO YOU! YOU ARE THE BOSS OF YOUR HAIR!! LOL!!


LUV LATRICE

No comments:

Post a Comment